Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam) is a therapeutic device. This is for the use in bleeding surfaces as a hemostatic. This can be used dry or soaked with sterile sodium chloride solution. This medication is specified in surgical processes as a hemostatic device. Gelfoam can also be used with or without thrombin to get hold of hemostasis.
Why use Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam)?
Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam) is supplied as a ready to use medical device kit. It is a pliable, sterile, and surgical sponge prepared from specially purified gelatin solution. This medication is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is available here at its very affordable price.
How does Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam) work?
Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam) has hemostatic properties. Its effects appear to be more physical than the result of altering the blood clotting mechanism. The absorption will depend on the amount of use. It will also depend on the amount of saturation with blood or other fluids and the position of usage. Gelfoam is frequently absorbed totally for about 4 to 6 months when placed in soft tissues. And it liquefies for 2 to 5 days when applied to rectal, bleeding nasal or vaginal mucosa.
How to use Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam)?
Use only the prescribed amount of Gelfoam. Cut the appropriate size and place it on the affected area. If your doctor gave you an instruction, follow it promptly.
What are the side-effects of Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam)?
The following are the side-effects that may occur while you are using Gelfoam:
- Abscess formation
- Foreign body reactions
- Encapsulation of fluid
- Blood clots
If these side effects continue or worsen, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
The following are the things that you need to be cautious with while using this medication:
- Do not re-sterilize the Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam).
- Do not use if the package is already damaged.
- Do not use without consulting an instruction first.
- Do not share this with others who have the same condition as yours. This product is for single use only.
- If an allergic reaction happens, stop using this treatment.
- This should be stored at right room temperature.
- This is not intended as a substitute for meticulous surgical technique.
- The use of this medication is not recommended if you have infections.