Aygestin (Norethindrone) is used for the treatment of abnormal bleeding from the uterus in women. This is also used for those who have stopped having menstrual periods for several months (amenorrhea). It happens to those who are not pregnant or going through menopause. In addition, this is used to treat endometriosis. It is a tissue that normally lines inside of the uterus is found outside the uterus in the abdomen/pelvic area. It causes an irregular or painful period.
How does Aygestin (Norethindrone) work?
Aygestin (Norethindrone) controls your period and treats irregular vaginal bleeding. It also eases the pain of endometriosis. It is a condition where tissue that lines your uterus is found in other parts of the body.
Why use Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
Aygestin contains Norethindrone. It is a type of female hormone or progestin. It is like the hormone that your body produces naturally. This medication comes in a tablet form. In the year 1982, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Take this medicine by mouth. You may take it with or without food or after a meal to prevent upset stomach. Take it regularly or as directed by your doctor. Follow your doctor’s prescription promptly. To avoid complications, do not twice the given dosage.
What are the side-effects of Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
These are the possible side effects that may occur while having this treatment:
- Changes in weight
- Mood swings
- Stomach cramps
- Sudden weakness or numbness
- Trouble sleeping
- Change in sexual interest
- Hair loss
- Painful urination
- Unwanted hair growth
- Changes in menstrual period
If these continue and get worse, call for medical help right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this medication, consult first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Inform your doctor if you have any allergies, medical history, or current medications.
- Do not share this or some of your medication with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- Do not take this longer than the prescribed schedule.
- Avoid or limit alcoholic beverages.
- This may make you feel dizzy. Avoid doing anything that needs your alertness.
- Keep this away from the direct sunlight or heat.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or pets.