Biltricide (Praziquantel) Tablets is used for the treatment of certain parasites like liver flukes and Schistosoma. Giving medication to parasitic infection helps to improve your health and quality of life. This may also be used to treat infections of other parasites like tapeworms, intestinal, and lung flakes.
How do Biltricide (Praziquantel) Tablets work?
Biltricide (Praziquantel) makes a quick reduction of schistosomes. It is by a particular effect on the permeability of the cell membrane. The medication further causes disintegration and vacuolization of the schistosome tegument.
After an oral administration of Biltricide (Praziquantel), it is quickly being absorbed. It also subjected to a first pass effect, eliminated, and metabolized by the kidneys. Maximal serum absorption is accomplished 1-3 hours after dosing. The half-life of this medication in serum is 0.8-1.5 hours.
Why use Biltricide (Praziquantel) Tablets?
Biltricide (Praziquantel) belongs to the class of medications known as antihelmintics. This is a trematodicide provided in tablet form for oral treatment. Biltricide is a white to a nearly white crystalline powder of bitter taste. This tablet has 600mg of Praziquantel. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Biltricide (Praziquantel) Tablets?
The dose and dosing schedule will depend on your condition and response to the treatment.
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a meal. This is usually taken 3 times daily with 4-6hours apart. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Your doctor may let you take this medication fewer than 3 times daily or to take it for longer for 1 day. Follow the prescription carefully.
What are the side-effects of Biltricide (Praziquantel) Tablets?
- Stomach pain or upset
- Joint or muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rash
Call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Bloody diarrhea
- Irregular or slow heartbeat
Warnings and Precautions
- You should avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while having this medication.
- During pregnancy, this should be used only when prescribed.
- This is not recommended to use if you are breastfeeding women.
- Let your doctor know if you have any current medications.
- Before using this, consult your doctor if you have a parasitic eye infection.
- This treatment may make you feel dizzy. Do not drive or do anything that needs your alertness.
- Do not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.