Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) is used by men to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. This type of condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia – BPH. This medication helps to relieve symptoms of BPH such as:
- Weak stream
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine
- The need to urinate often or urgently during at middle of the night
How does Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) work?
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) works by relaxing both the bladder neck muscles. It also relaxes the muscle of the prostate gland itself. By doing so, men with prostate problems are able to urinate more freely and the need to urinate at nighttime is reduced. It also helps to improve the flow of your urine.
Why use Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)?
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) belongs to the class of medication called alpha-adrenergic blockers. This prescription comes as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule contains Tamsulosin Hydrochloride as an active ingredient. This is available in the strength of 0.4 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)?
Take this prescription regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more often than the prescription. The dosage is based on your medical condition or response.
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) is usually taken once a day. It is to be taken 30 minutes after the same meal each day. Swallow the drug as a whole. Do not chew or break it. It is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Remember to take it at the same time every day.
What are the side-effects of Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)?
Common side effects:
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sleep problems
Warnings and Precautions
- While taking this drug, avoid drinking grapefruit juice. It may interact with this drug.
- Avoid also taking alcohol if you are using this medication.
- It is important to tell your doctor if you have current medications.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to this drug or if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Call for medical help if there is an allergic reaction or an overdose.
- You should tell your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or if you are already pregnant before taking this drug.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or pets.