The world is shaken by the outbreak of the new coronavirus. This is the Novel Corona Virus or known as the COVID-19. In 3 months the virus has already spread in the most country around the globe. The COVID-19 is fatal and communicable. The disease becomes pandemic and the affected population grows every day. Multiple deaths are also recorded without any certainty of the cure. As of the latest update, the COVID-19 caused more death than recovered patients. This becomes quite alarming and considered as a global health emergency.
The COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets. These are the droplets that are coming out when talking, sneezing and coughing. The respiratory droplets can also infect to other people through an object. This is acquired when you touch your eyes, nose, mouth and open skin without cleaning your hands. An infected person is subjected to self-quarantine and immediate medical response.
How to protect yourself and others from COVID-19?
- Stay away from crowded places or stay at home as possible
- Wash your hands with soap and sanitizer
- Inform your doctor if you have existing diseases
- Disinfect your place from time to time
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Subject for self-quarantine if you experience symptoms
The hydroxychloroquine sulfate is being studied to determine if it can prevent the onset of the COVID-19. The component of this medicine is derivative from quinine which is used to treat fever. This medicine was first used to treat malaria. The hydroxychloroquine is known as the referent of chloroquine. It has the same structures but has different biological properties. The hydroxychloroquine is safe which does not cause any toxicity. This was also given as a prescription drug to patients with rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus are an autoimmune attack of the immune system.
The hydroxychloroquine is continuously tested in the lab to be effective in dealing with the COVID-19. This is already proven to be effective in fighting against the strain of a particular virus which is the SARS. This drug is being used for years not just to fight against SARS. This is also used to treat diseases that destroy your immune system. This drug is not new to the medical field which is an advantage to formulate a cure as soon as possible.
How to use the Hydroxychloroquine?
This drug must be taken with the prescription of your doctor. You can use this medication with other drugs. However, you have to take other medications 4 hours before you take the Hydroxychloroquine. Take this medicine with food to prevent an upset stomach. The length and dosage of the treatment must be according to the prescription of your doctor. This is also based on the severity of your condition and your body’s response to therapy.
Take 1 tablet per day for 4 to 8 weeks or as prescribed by your physician. The dose of your intake may be lowered as you are getting to the finish line of your treatment. Do not stop the intake abruptly or without telling your doctor. Have it at the same time each day to prevent any missed dose. Do not take 2 tablets at the same time to make up with missed dose. It is better to have it the next day. A regular dose of the hydroxychloroquine will give your body a bigger possibility to recover.
How does the hydroxychloroquine works?
Hydroxychloroquine is effective against complications from respiratory disease. It works against viruses and infectious diseases. This drug will also guard your immune system which is the main target of the Coronavirus. A more detailed study confirmed that most of the patients treated with this drug have a bigger possibility of recovery. The hydroxychloroquine inhibits the growth and maturation of the virus in your system.
The hydroxychloroquine also guards your cell against the entrance of the virus. It destroys the growth of the virus in your body. It stops the replication and renews dead cell. The hydroxychloroquine does not work properly when combined with other drugs. Make sure that you have taken other medicine ahead of time. The effectiveness and work of this medicine always depend on the severity of the condition.
What are the side effects of the hydroxychloroquine?
- Loss of appetite and nausea
- Stomach cramps and vomiting
- Headache and dizziness
These light side effects may or may not come all at once. It will also not come at all in some cases. However, you have to continue being cautious. There are no recorded fatal side effects from this drug. Consider each recommendation and advice from your doctor for faster treatment. Here are some of the severe side effects of the hydroxychloroquine:
- Symptoms of heart failure and shortness of breath
- Swelling of ankles, feet and unusual weight gain
- Easy bleeding, bruising and signs of other infections
- Sore throat, yellowish skin and eyes
- Persistent fever and mood swings
- This drug can also cause low blood sugar
The severe side effects of this medicine may or may not come as well. However, you need to take all the precautionary measures from time to time. There may also be an occurrence of side effects that are not on the list. In the case of this situation, you have to tell your doctor right away.
Precautions on or before taking the hydroxychloroquine
- Children are sensitive to overdosage and other side effects of the medicine. Stick to doctors recommended dosage.
- This is also not allowed for pregnant and breastfeeding women. However, your doctor may permit you to take this in a lower dosage.
- Tell your doctor if you have tried this before such as treating arthritis or lupus
- You also have to tell your doctor if you have existing diseases, coming surgery in your respiratory organ
- This medication may also cause blurry vision. Avoid exposing yourself to radiation or extreme sunlight
- Let your doctor know if you have cardiovascular or respiratory disease. This is for the adjustment of dosage
- Keep this away from the reach and sight of children and pets. Dispose the empty caps properly to avoid contamination. Store this in a cool dry place