To protect your body from getting sick, having healthy immunity is vital. The better it can fight off viruses if it is more robust. To build your immune system, you need to focus on nutrient-rich foods and healthy lifestyle behaviors. These help you to stay ahead of germs.
Without health immunity, you could pick up any infections. Having a healthy immune system protects you from making any barrier that stops those invaders or antigens from entering your body. If there happens to be one slip by the border, the immune system creates white blood cells, and proteins attack and destroy these foreign substances. When your immune system is in excellent condition, you probably don’t recognize it working away to protect you around the clock. On the other hand, you will know when there is something wrong as your immunity is your body’s in-built defense system against any infection. If you’re feeling good today, pat yourself on the back for looking after your immune system.
Focus On Balance
To help keep your immunity healthy all year long, you need to focus on a balanced eating plan, stress management, and enough rest/sleep. Aim to have at least 5 to 7 servings of fruits and veggies each day to get antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to support your immune health.
In a balanced diet that supports your immune system, you may want to include some essential nutrients found in various foods. Some of these nutrients can give your immune system a boost;
- Zinc: This comes from animal sources and vegetarian sources (seafood, beef, nuts, beans, and tofu).
- Beta Carotene: This is in plant foods (broccoli, mango, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and spinach).
- Vitamin C: Foods rich in vitamin C are bell peppers, berries, citrus fruits, and tomatoes.
- Vitamin D: This nutrient is in eggs and fatty fish. Juices and milk fortified with vitamin D are also sources of this nutrient.
- Protein: This comes from plant-based and animal sources (beans, seeds, lentils, nuts, seafood, chicken, eggs, beef, milk, and yogurt).
- Probiotics: These are good bacteria that promote health. Cultured dairy products and fermented foods are a good source of probiotics.
Always keep in mind to wash produce before eating or using them in a recipe. Clean as well your meal preparations are before and after using. You can help prevent the spread of any kind of infection and from getting sick along with good hygiene.
Herbal Supplements and Vitamins
Various remedies help fight any respiratory illnesses and shorten their duration. However, you need to check with your healthcare provider before taking any medications or supplements. There is no single supplement or food that can prevent you from any illness.
Besides boosting your immune system, eating right supports your body’s other systems and helps you lose weight and feel good. You can also have your exercise routine to stay active and yoga or practice mindfulness and meditation for your mental well-being. Therefore, you need to make that next trip to the grocery store count.