Where is Ketotifen Fumarate used?
Ketotifen Fumarate is used for the treatment of inflammation of the eyes due to hay fever. It is also called seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. This prescription is usually used in adults and children aged 3 years and older.
How does Ketotifen Fumarate work?
Ketotifen Fumarate is a type of medicine called an antihistamine that works by preventing the actions of histamine. Histamine is a substance produced by the body as part of its defense mechanisms. It is stored in cells called mast cells in almost all tissues of the body. When the body reacts to a foreign substance, the mast cells stimulated by the allergen release their stores of histamine. The released histamine then binds to its receptors which causes a chain reaction. Wherein, it results in allergic symptoms. It causes an increase in blood flow to the area of the allergy and the release of other chemicals that add to the allergic response. This results in the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
How to use Ketotifen Fumarate?
Apply one drop to the affected eye/s usually twice a day or as directed by your doctor. To apply for the medicine, wash your hands first to avoid contamination. Do not touch the tip of the dropper or let it touch your eye or any other surface. Try not to blink and do not rub your eye.
If your doctor has prescribed this medication, use it regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time each day. Continue to use this medication as prescribed until you are no longer exposed to the allergic substance. Do not use this medication to treat irritation from contact lens wear. Consult your doctor about the use of contact lenses when the eyes are irritated or red.
What are the precautions in taking Ketotifen Fumarate?
- Ketotifen Fumarate is for use in the eyes only and must not be taken by mouth.
- These eye drops may cause your vision to blur temporarily after you have put the drops in your eyes. Do not drive or operate machinery until this has worn off.
- Ketotifen Fumarate should be discarded four weeks after the bottle is first opened. The medicine could be contaminated with dirt or germs that could cause eye infections. Take note of the date of opening on the bottle so you know when to throw them away. Dispose of them carefully.
- This should not be used in children under 3 years of age.
- Ketotifen Fumarate should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor if you have previously experienced such an allergy. Stop using this medicine and inform your doctor right away if you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction.
- Although only small amounts of this medicine pass into the bloodstream, the safety of this medicine for use in pregnancy is highly observed. This should be used with caution only if the benefits to the mother outweigh any risks to the developing. Seek further medical advice from your doctor before using these eye drops if you are pregnant.