Lithium Carbonate Capsules is for the treatment of a manic-depressive disorder or bipolar disorder. This condition is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts of mood, activity levels, and energy. This also loses the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. This medication helps lessen how often manic episodes occur and lessens the symptoms of:
- Feelings that others wish to harm you
- Exaggerated feelings of well-being
- Aggressive or hostile behaviors
- Rapid or loud speech
How do Lithium Carbonate Capsules work?
Lithium is a positively charged particle that is similar to potassium and sodium. It inhibits at some places inside cells. It also interferes on the cell surface with other positively charged atoms such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, and calcium which are important in many cellular functions.
This medication inhibits with the making and uptake of chemical messengers by which nerves communicate with each other. Lithium also affects the concentrations of serotonin and tryptophan in the brain. In addition, this increases the production of white blood cells in the bone marrow.
Why use Lithium Carbonate Capsules?
Lithium Carbonate is an antimanic medication and is much known as a very effective medicine. This helps lessen the number of suicidal thoughts that a person with this condition. This also helps strengthen the nerve connections in your brain that control your mood because of the proteins it contains. Lithium Carbonate is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This comes as a 300 mg capsule for oral use.
How to use Lithium Carbonate Capsules?
This is to be taken 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. You may take the medicine with or without a meal. Swallow it as a whole with a full glass of water. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than the prescription. The dosage is based on your condition, age, and response. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Lithium Carbonate Capsules?
- Lack of coordination
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Weight gain
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach upset or pain
- Itching skin
Warnings and Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications (vitamins or herbal supplements).
- This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction. Let your doctor know if you have any allergies.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Do not use this for the treatment of other condition without a prescription of your doctor.
- Do not share this o any of your medicine with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Call for medical help right away if there are any signs of an allergic reaction.