Macitentan is for the treatment of high blood pressure in the lungs. It is called pulmonary arterial hypertension. This type of condition is thought to be caused by increased levels of endothelin-1. This medication blocks the effects of endothelin-1 that helps lessen the blood pressure in the lungs. Macitentan also slows the worsening of symptoms from the disease.
How does Macitentan work?
Macitentan works by blocking endothelin. It is a substance made by the body. Endothelin causes blood vessels to narrow. It also causes abnormal growth of the muscle in the walls of the blood vessels in the lungs. This narrowing increases the pressure required to push the blood through the lungs to get oxygen. By blocking the action of endothelin, Macitentan lessens the lung blood pressure. This delays disease progression.
Why use Macitentan?
Macitentan is a prescription approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2013. This medication is an endothelin receptor antagonist. This helps your heart pump blood more efficiently. Macitentan also improves your ability to exercise and prevents high blood pressure in the lungs from getting worse. This is supplied as a 10 mg film-coated tablet for oral use. Each tablet contains Macitentan as an active ingredient.
How to use Macitentan?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. This is to be taken exactly as it is prescribed for the best benefit. Do not increase your dose or use this more often or for longer than prescribed.
Macitentan is usually taken once a day. You may take each dose with or without food. With a full glass of water, swallow the medicine as a whole. Do not chew or break the drug. Don’t forget to take it at the same time each day. Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Macitentan?
- Common cold symptoms (sore throat or stuffy nose)
- Decreased in the amount of urine
- Pale skin
- Dark urine
- Muscle pain or aches
- Weight gain
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to it.
- This is not recommended if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Tell your doctor if you have anemia, liver or kidney disease.
- Before taking a dose, let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medication.
- If there are any signs of an allergic reaction, call for medical help right away.
- Keep this drug away from heat and moisture.