Pepcid (Famotidine) is indicated to use for the treatment and prevention of ulcers in the stomach and intestine. It prevents them from coming back after they have healed. This is also used to treat certain stomach and throat problems like:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Erosive esophagitis
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
Pepcid (Famotidine) is also used to relieve symptoms such as:
- Cough that doesn’t go away
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty swallowing
In addition, this is used in other symptoms caused by too much acid in the stomach. If you are taking this prescription for self-treatment, it is important to read the manufacturer’s package instructions carefully. It is to let you know when to consult a doctor.
How does Pepcid (Famotidine) work?
Pepcid (Famotidine) works by blocking the action of histamine on stomach cells. It reduces the production of acid by the stomach. This medication is useful in promoting the healing of stomach and duodenal ulcers. It is also useful in reducing the pain of an ulcer.
Why use Pepcid (Famotidine)?
Pepcid (Famotidine) belongs to the class of medications known as H2 histamine blockers. This drug has Famotidine as an active ingredient. It is a white to pale yellow crystalline compound. This comes as a tablet for oral administration. Each tablet has the strengths of 20 mg and 40 mg. this was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Pepcid (Famotidine)?
Pepcid (Famotidine) is to be taken by mouth to be swallowed as a whole. You should not break or chew it. Take it with a full glass of water. It is usually taken once or twice a day.
The dosage is based on your condition and response to it. In children, the dosage is also based on their weight. Take the drug regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time every day.
What are the side-effects of Pepcid (Famotidine)?
- Mood changes
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Dry mouth
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this prescription, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies.
- Do not take this medication for more than 14 days in a row without consulting your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you have any health problems like kidney or liver problem or other stomach problem.
- Keep this drug and all other drugs away from heat and moisture.