Where is Pilocarpine Hydrochloride used?
Pilocarpine Hydrochloride is an FDA- approved prescription used for the treatment of dry mouth due to a certain immune disease called Sjogren’s syndrome. This is in the class of medications called cholinergic agonists that stimulates certain nerves to increase the amount of saliva you produce. Wherein, it makes it easier and more comfortable to speak and swallow.
How does Pilocarpine Hydrochloride work?
Pilocarpine Hydrochloride imitates the action of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are stored in nerve cells. Acetylcholine is involved in communicating nerve messages that regulate many of the processes that occur habitually in the body. Acetylcholine causes the salivary glands to make saliva and the lacrimal glands in the eye to make tears to lubricate the eyes. By imitating acetylcholine, this drug stimulates the production of saliva and tears. Wherein, it can help to relieve the symptoms of dry mouth and eyes.
It can take 2 to 3 months of treatment with this medication before dry mouth or eye symptoms are improved. The medicine should be stopped if there is no improvement after this time.
How is Pilocarpine Hydrochloride taken?
You may take each dose with or without food. Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking Pilocarpine Hydrochloride. Use this product regularly to get the most benefit. Before you run out of medicine completely, get your prescription refilled.
The dosage is based on your condition and response to the treatment. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time each day. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
What are the precautions in taking Pilocarpine Hydrochloride?
- Pilocarpine Hydrochloride may cause blurred vision especially in low light or at night. Be careful if you drive or do anything that obliges you to be able to see clearly.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this. Tell as well to your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Before using this drug, tell your doctor if you have a medical history such as certain eye conditions, heart conditions, low or high blood pressure, and kidney or liver disease.
- If Pilocarpine Hydrochloride makes you sweat heavily, drink plenty of fluids so that you do not become dehydrated. If you are not capable to drink sufficient fluids, inform your doctor right away.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor about all the products you use including prescription or non-prescription drugs and herbal products.
- Caution is recommended when using this medication in the elderly. They may be more sensitive to its effects especially dizziness, increase the urge to urinate, and diarrhea.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding women consult your doctor first before using this medication.
- Always remember to keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children and never share your medicines with others. Also, use this medication only for the indication prescribed.