Proscar (Finasteride) is used alone or with other medications to reduce symptoms of BPH. This drug is used to shrink an enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia. It usually happens in adult men. This medication may also be used to reduce the need for surgery.
This drug may improve the symptoms of such a condition. This may also provide benefits such as:
- Less of a feeling that the bladder is not completely emptied
- Decreased urge to urinate
- Decreased nighttime urination
- Better urine flow with less straining
How does Proscar (Finasteride) work?
Benign prostatic hyperplasia is directly dependent on DHT. It is a hormone converted from the male hormone testosterone. This medication inhibits the enzyme needed for the conversion of testosterone on DHT. Therefore, this drug lowers blood and tissue DHT levels. It also helps decrease the size of the prostate gland.
Patients taking this medication will generally respond to this drug in several weeks. But for some, it often takes 6 months to receive the full effect of the medication.
Why use Proscar (Finasteride)?
Proscar (Finasteride) belongs to the class of drugs called 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. This comes as a tablet for oral administration. The tablets are film-coated that contains Finasteride as an active ingredient. This is available in the strength of 5 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Proscar (Finasteride)?
Proscar (Finasteride) is to be taken by mouth usually once a day. You may take it with or without food. Take it with a full glass of water. Swallow the tablet as a whole do not chew or break it.
Remember to take it at the same time each day. The recommended dosage is based on your condition and response to the treatment.
What are the side-effects of Proscar (Finasteride)?
- Skin rash
- Runny nose
- Feeling faint
- Swelling or tenderness in your breasts
- Swelling in your hands or feet
Warnings and Precautions
- This medication is not permitted for the inhibition of prostate cancer. It may somewhat increase the possibility of developing a very serious form of cancer.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies.
- This should not be used in women especially when pregnant or breastfeeding. This should not also be used in children.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.