Rizatriptan Benzoate is for the treatment of migraines. Migraines are a recurring type of headache. They cause moderate to severe pain that is pulsing or throbbing. The pain is frequently on one side of your head. This medication helps relieve pain, headache, and other migraine symptoms such as:
- Sensitivity to light or sound
Prompt treatment helps you to return to your normal routine. It may also lessen your need for other pain medications.
How does Rizatriptan Benzoate work?
Rizatriptan Benzoate works by stimulating receptors called serotonin receptors that are found in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin usually acts on these receptors. That it causes blood vessels in the brain to narrow. Rizatriptan Benzoate mimics this action of serotonin by directly stimulating the serotonin receptors in the brain. This narrows the blood vessels and so relieves the pain of migraine headaches.
Why use Rizatriptan Benzoate?
Rizatriptan Benzoate is in the class of medications called triptans. This affects a certain natural substance that causes narrowing of blood vessels in the brain. This may also relieve pain by affecting certain nerves in the brain. Rizatriptan Benzoate is supplied as tablets for oral administration. Each tablet is available in the strengths of 5 mg and 10 mg that contain Rizatriptan Benzoate as an active ingredient. This is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Rizatriptan Benzoate?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. It is very important that you take this medication exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor.
Rizatriptan Benzoate is to be taken by mouth. This is taken at the first sign of a migraine. You may take it with or without a meal but it may also work faster on an empty stomach. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a full glass of water.
What are the side effects of Rizatriptan Benzoate?
- Dry mouth
- Mild headache
- Weakness or tired feeling
- Pressure or heavy feeling in any part of your body
- A feeling of pain or tightness in the neck, jaw, or throat
- A feeling of numbness, tingling, or heat
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not take this medication if you are allergic. Let your doctor know if you have any allergies before taking this.
- Tell your doctor if the drug is not working well or if your headaches get worse.
- Rizatriptan Benzoate may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and if the results are high call your doctor right away.
- Before taking this medicine, consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.