Somatropin is used to treat one of the following medical conditions:
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Growth failure
- Intestinal disorder (short bowel syndrome)
- HIV-related weight loss or wasting
This medication may also be used to increase height in children with certain disorders such as:
- Turner syndrome
- Noonan syndrome
- Idiopathic short stature
How does Somatropin work?
Somatropin binds to a dimeric GH receptor in the cell membrane of target cells. That it results in intracellular signal transduction. People produce Human Growth Hormone naturally. It is a hormone secreted by our pituitary gland which is near the base of the brain. It also helps with cell reproduction and promotes physical growth. This medication works by stimulating the liver and other issues to make a protein called insulin-like growth factor-1.
Why use Somatropin?
Somatropin is a form of human growth hormone. In which it is important for the growth of bones and muscles. This helps children grow taller and helps adults/children grow muscle. Somatropin is supplied as a sterile solution for subcutaneous use. This is in a ready-to-administer prefilled pen with a volume of 1.5 ml or 3 ml. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Somatropin?
The dosage will depend on your condition, weight, and response to the treatment. Do not use in larger amounts or for longer than the prescription.
This medication is given by injection into a muscle or under the skin. It is important to change the location of the injection site to avoid problem areas under the skin. For best results, Somatropin must be used exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Somatropin?
- Tired feeling
- Muscle pain
- Pain in your arms or legs
- Joint stiffness or pain
- Cold symptoms (sneezing, sore throat, or stuffy nose)
- Injection site reactions
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this treatment, inform your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Do not use this on open wounds or infected area of the skin.
- If you have diabetes, this may increase your blood sugar.
- Tell your doctor if you have present medications such as herbal supplements or vitamins.
- Check this product visually for particles or discoloration before using. If either is present, do not use the liquid.
- Inform your doctor if you have a medical history of kidney disease, eye problems, or diabetes.