Tadalafil is a prescription used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is the incapability to keep and get an erection stable enough for sex. Trouble having an erection frequently isn’t indeed a cause for concern. If ED is an ongoing issue, it can affect your self-confidence, cause stress, and contribute to relationship problems. Problems getting or keeping an erection can also be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and a risk factor for heart disease. Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include:
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Trouble getting an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
Male sexual arousal is a complex process that involves the brain, emotions, hormones, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. ED can result from a problem with any of these. Also, stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen ED. At times, a combination of psychological and physical issues may cause erectile dysfunction. For example, a minor physical disorder that decelerates your sexual reaction can reason to anxiety about keeping an erection. That it can lead to or worsen erectile dysfunction. As you get older, erections might take longer to develop and might not be as firm. You might need more direct touch to your penis to get and keep an erection.
This medication can also be used to relieve symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This is common as men get older. This condition can cause uncomfortable urinary symptoms. The severity of symptoms in people who have prostate gland enlargement varies. Common signs and symptoms of BPH may include:
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Weak urine stream or a stream that stops and starts
- Difficulty starting urination
- Inability to empty the bladder
- Dribbling at the end of urination
This medication is in the class of phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors. This relaxes the smooth muscle in the prostate and bladder. Tadalafil is a prescription already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It comes as a tablet with the dosage strengths of 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg for oral use.
How does Tadalafil work?
Tadalafil helps you to achieve and maintain an erection by helping more blood get into your penis when you are sexually aroused.
An erection is made through a complex chain of events that involves signals from the nervous system. It also involves the release of chemical messengers within the tissues of the penis. One of the messengers released when you’re aroused is called cyclic GMP. Cyclic GMP relaxes and widens the blood vessels in the penis which allows more blood to enter. This causes the penis to get hard and erect. Cyclic GMP is usually broken down by an enzyme in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5). Tadalafil, therefore, stops this enzyme from breaking down the cyclic GMP. This allows the blood vessels in the penis to stay dilated for longer. In which, it improves blood flow to the penis and helps produce and maintain an erection.
The effect of this medication on the blood vessels also improves blood flow to the prostate gland. The prostate gland often enlarges with advancing age, pressing on the urethra, and obstructing the flow of urine out of the bladder. By improving the blood flow to the prostate and relaxing the muscle in the prostate gland and the bladder, Tadalafil helps to relieve BPH symptoms.
How to use Tadalafil?
Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Do not take this medicine more often than once a day. The dosage is based on your condition and response to the treatment.
For the treatment of ED, this can be taken at least 30 minutes before sexual activity. The effect on sexual ability may last up to 36 hours. You may as well take this once a day every day. If you take it this way, you may attempt sexual activity at any time between your doses.
For the treatment of BPH, this is to be taken once a day or as directed by your doctor. Take Tadalafil exactly as it is given by your doctor. Do not take more or less than the prescribed dose. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Tadalafil?
Common side effects:
- Prolonged erection
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Changes in color vision
- Blurred vision
- Low blood pressure
- Muscle or back pain
- Memory problems
- Flu-like symptoms
- Stomach upset
Call your doctor right away if you have these side effects:
- A sudden decrease or loss of hearing
- Something with ringing in the ears and dizziness
- Sudden decreased vision including permanent blindness in one or both eyes
- A painful or prolonged erection lasting 4 or more hours
Warnings and Precautions
- This may make you feel dizzy or affect your vision. It may affect your ability to drive or operate machinery safely. Don’t drive until you know how this drug affects you.
- It’s best to avoid drinking too much alcohol while having Tadalafil. Drinking alcohol can reduce your ability to get an erection and so might make the Tadalafil less effective.
- Avoid as well as drinking grapefruit juice while having this medication. it may increase the level of Tadalafil in your blood and can increase the risk of side effects.
- People with high blood pressure, who had a stroke, heart attack, with low blood pressure, and those who have conditions in which sexual activity is not advisable, Tadalafil is not recommended for use.
- If you have already had an allergic reaction in Tadalafil, let your doctor know. Tell as well if you have any allergies. This prescription may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- People with a heart condition, taking medicines for high blood pressure, who have sickle cell disease, severe kidney failure, this medication may need a lower dose or extra monitoring.
- This is not for use in women or children.
- Keep this far from direct heat or light.