Amiodarone HCL is a prescription used to treat persistent ventricular fibrillation and tachycardia.
Persistent ventricular fibrillation is a heart rhythm problem that occurs when the heart beats with rapid and erratic electrical impulses. This causes pumping chambers in your heart to quiver uselessly instead of pumping blood. Sometimes triggered by a heart attack, ventricular fibrillation causes your blood pressure to plummet and cutting off blood supply to your vital organs. This type of condition is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention. Early symptoms of this condition are:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
- Shortness of breath
Tachycardia is a common type of heart rhythm disorder. Wherein, the heart beats faster than normal while at rest. It’s normal for your heart rate to rise during exercise or some response to stress. But in this condition, the heart beats faster than normal in the upper or lower chambers of the heart rate or both while at rest. In some cases, tachycardia may cause no symptoms or complications. But if left untreated, it can disrupt normal heart function and lead to serious complications such as:
- Heart failure
- Sudden cardiac arrest or death
This medication restores your normal heart rhythm and maintains a regular and steady heartbeat. This blocks a certain electrical signal in the heart that can cause an irregular heartbeat.
Amiodarone HCL is a type of medicine called the anti-arrhythmic drug. This prevents abnormal heartbeats by working inside the cells. It is to control muscle contractions in the heart. This helps your heartbeat normally. This product is supplied as a tablet for oral administration. Each tablet contains Amiodarone HCL as an active ingredient. It is a white to cream-colored crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in water and alcohol. This is available in the dosage forms of 100 mg and 200 mg. Amiodarone HCL is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Amiodarone HCL work?
The pumping action of the heart is controlled by electrical signals that pass through the heart muscle. The electrical signal causes the two pairs of heart chambers to contract in a regular manner that produces the heartbeat. If the electrical activity in the heart is disturbed for any reason, irregular heartbeats of various types can result. These can seriously weaken the pumping action of the heart and result in inefficient blood circulation around the body.
Amiodarone HCL works by slowing down the electrical impulses in the heart muscle. This helps to regulate and restore disturbances in the heart rhythm.
How to use Amiodarone HCL?
Amiodarone HCL is to be taken by mouth. This is usually taken twice a day or as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. It is also important to choose one way and take this medication the same way with every dose. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way every day. For the best benefit, take it regularly.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, weight, and response to the treatment. Do not in a larger or smaller amount. It may worsen or cause another complication. You must take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Amiodarone HCL?
Common side effects:
- General feeling of being unwell
- Tremor and involuntary movements
- Poor coordination and gait
- Weight gain or loss
- Weakness of the arms and the legs
- Dry eyes and skin
- Stomach pain
- Uncontrollable or unusual movements of the body
- Loss of appetite
- Eye problems
- Sensitivity of eyes and skin to sunlight
Side effects of this drug can be serious and may include:
- Slow heartbeat
- Congestive heart failure
- Pulmonary toxicity
- Rare serious liver injury
- Exacerbation of arrhythmia
Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble or difficulty breathing
- Hive, itching, or skin rash
- Swelling of your face, lips, throat, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Amiodarone HCL can cause adverse reactions affecting the heart, eyes, liver, lungs, and thyroid gland.
- Avoid drinking grapefruit or eating grapefruit juice while having this treatment unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Grapefruit may increase the amount of his drug in your bloodstream.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding women before using this drug. It may not be recommended for use.
- It is important to tell your doctor what medicines you are already taking including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines. Similarly, check with your doctor before taking any new drugs while using Amiodarone HCL. It is to make sure that the combination is safe.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take twice the prescribed dosage to make up for the missed dose.
- While taking Amiodarone HCL, do not drink alcohol. It may affect the effectiveness of this drug.
- You should not sue this for the treatment of other conditions without the prescription of a doctor.
- You should not use this past the expiration date.
- Do not share this drug or any of your prescriptions with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this medication at room temperature far from heat, moisture, and reach of children.
This drug should not be used by:
- People with a slow heart rate caused by the pacemaker of the heart
- People with decreased heart function caused by problems with the conduction of electrical impulses leaving the pacemaker of the heart
- People taking medicines that can cause an abnormal heart rhythm
- Those with an overactive or underactive thyroid gland
- Those who are allergic to iodine