Where is Avanafil used?
Avanafil is a prescription used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). Having erection concern from time to time isn’t indeed a cause for concern. If ED is an ongoing issue, it can affect your self-confidence, cause stress, and contribute to relationship problems.
This is an FDA-approved medication that is called a phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor. Avanafil prevents the action of a chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type-5. This increases blood flow to the penis to help a man get and keep an erection.
How does Avanafil work?
Erection occurs through a complex chain of events that involves signals from the nervous system. It releases chemical messengers within the tissues of the penis such as cyclic GMP. The chemical messengers cause the blood vessels to widen. It widens by soothing a thin layer of muscle that is found in the blood vessel walls. This lets more blood enter the penis and eventually will result in the penis becoming rigid and erect. Cyclic GMP is usually broken down by another chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type-5.
Avanafil is a phosphodiesterase type-5 that stops the breakdown of cyclic GMP. For this reason, the blood vessels are kept dilated for longer. This means that the blood vessels are kept dilated for longer, improving blood flow to the penis and maintaining an erection. As Avanafil enhances the actions of the chemical messengers responsible for producing an erection, it will only work once these messengers are present. This means that sexual stimulation is required for it to produce and maintain an erection. The dose should be taken approximately 30 minutes before you intend to have sex.
How to use Avanafil?
Take this medication by mouth with or without food. This medication is taken usually as needed or as directed by your doctor. This medicine is available in different doses. Before sexual activity, take Avanafil for about 15 minutes or 30 minutes depending on your dose. Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully on how many minutes before sexual activity you must take this medicine. You should not take this more than once a day.
The recommended dosage is based on your condition, response, and other medications you are taking. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the possible side effects of using Avanafil?
- Back pain
- Stomach upset
What are the precautions in using Avanafil?
- This medicine may cause dizziness and visual disturbances. You should make sure you are aware of your reactions to this medicine before driving or operating machinery.
- If you drink alcohol there is more chance of a drop in your blood pressure that might make you feel dizzy or faint. Also, alcohol can impair sexual performance.
- If your erection lasts longer than four hours, consult a doctor right away. Treatment of this condition should not be delayed more than six hours. This can cause damage to the erectile tissue in the penis and irreversible erectile dysfunction.
- If you experience a sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes you should stop taking this medicine and consult your doctor right away.
- Avanafil should not be used in children under 18 years of age, men with severely decreased liver or kidney function, angina, and heart failure.
- Use this caution in men over 70 years old, men with an active peptic ulcer, and with disease involving the heart and blood vessels.