Where is Azilsartan Medoxomil used?
Azilsartan Medoxomil is a medication used for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. Having controlled blood pressure helps lower the risk of having strokes, kidney problems, and heart attacks. This medicine can be used alone or in combination with other medications to lower mild to moderate high blood pressure.
Azilsartan Medoxomil is in the class of medications known as angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this treatment.
How does Azilsartan Medoxomil work?
Azilsartan Medoxomil works by blocking angiotensin II receptors and prevents the action of angiotensin II. Angiotensin II is involved in regulating fluid balance and blood pressure. It has two actions, causes the blood vessels to narrow and the kidneys to retain water and salt. This medicine blocks the receptors that angiotensin II acts on and prevents its actions. As a result, it widens the peripheral blood vessel which means that there are more space and less resistance in these blood vessels. This is the main mechanism by which the pressure in the blood vessel is lowered.
By stopping the actions of angiotensin II, it increases the total of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys. This lessens the amount of fluid in the blood vessels that also lessens the resistance and pressure in the blood vessels.
How is Azilsartan Medoxomil taken?
The recommended dose for this medication depends on your condition and response. Take this medication by mouth and as a whole. This is usually taken once daily with or without a meal. You will most likely feel the full effects of this treatment for about two weeks after you start taking it. Take it as directed by your doctor. To avoid complications, do not take more than one dose in a day. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
This prescription is taken regularly for the best benefit. Hypertension often will not make you feel sick. Check your blood pressure regularly. If your condition does not improve while having this treatment, contact your health care provider for recommendations.
What are the possible side effects of Azilsartan Medoxomil?
- Dizziness on standing
- Tired feeling
- Lack of energy or weakness
- Loss of appetite
If these persist or get worse, call for medical help right away.
What are the precautions in using Azilsartan Medoxomil?
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, consult your doctor first before using this.
- Do not use this longer than the prescription.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history, allergies, or current medications.
- Do not share this or any of your medications with others who have the same condition as yours. It can be harmful to people to take this if their doctor has not recommended it.
- Avoid driving or do anything that needs your alertness. This medication may make you feel dizzy.
- This medicine is not recommended for use in people with severely decreased liver function.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or your pets.