Where is Cetirizine Hydrochloride used?
Cetirizine Hydrochloride is in the family of medicines called antihistamines used for the treatment of allergies such as seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis. This blocks a certain natural substance that your body makes during an allergic reaction. By blocking, it helps relieve allergy symptoms. This medication can also be used to treat hives. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Cetirizine Hydrochloride work?
Cetirizine Hydrochloride works by preventing the actions of histamine. It is a substance produced by the body when it reacts to a foreign substance such as pollen or pet fur. It acts on histamine receptors causing a chain reaction that results in allergic symptoms. In hay fever, histamine causes inflammation of the airways, nose, or eyes. Wherein, it results in sneezing, watery or itchy eyes as well as an itchy, runny, or blocked nose. In allergic skin reactions, histamine causes skin itching, inflammation, and rashes.
This medication stops histamine receptors and the chain reaction that causes the symptoms of an allergy. It typically starts to work within half an hour to an hour after taking a dose.
How is Cetirizine Hydrochloride taken?
- In adults, the usual dose is 10 mg taken once a day.
- Doses for this medicine are usually lower for people with kidney complications.
- For children, the dose is based on the child’s age or weight to work out the right dose.
- Depending on their weight and age, children may take this medication twice each day. You may try to space the doses 10 to 12 hours apart.
- Each dose of this medication can be taken with or without food.
- Always take the medicine with a drink of juice, water, or milk. Swallow them as a whole.
What are the possible side effects of Cetirizine Hydrochloride?
- Changes in taste
- Sore throat
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
What are the precautions in taking Cetirizine Hydrochloride?
- Before taking Cetirizine Hydrochloride, let your doctor know if you ever had an allergic reaction to this. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had any medical history especially of difficulty urinating, liver, or kidney disease.
- This drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do any activity that requires your alertness.
- Limit alcoholic beverages.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Cetirizine Hydrochloride should be used during pregnancy if only needed. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor right away.
- For women who are breastfeeding, you need to talk to your doctor first for some instructions.
- This should not be given to children under 2 years of age.
- A lower dose may be needed in people with kidney problems. Dosage should also be monitored in people who suffer from epilepsy or are at risk of convulsions.
- Do not use this for the treatment of any other diseases without the consent of a doctor.
- Check with your doctor before taking any other medications. This includes vitamins or herbal supplements.