Dolobid (Diflunisal) is indicated for the treatment of:
- Mild to moderate pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
This is for acute or long-term use for symptomatic treatment. This helps reduce swelling, pain, and joint stiffness caused by arthritis. Reducing these symptoms helps you do more of your normal daily activities.
How does Dolobid (Diflunisal) work?
Dolobid (Diflunisal) works by decreasing the levels of prostaglandins. It is a chemical that is responsible for inflammation, pain, and fever. This drug blocks the enzymes that make prostaglandins (cyclooxygenases). It results in a lower concentration of prostaglandins. As a consequence, inflammation, pain, and fever are reduced.
Why use Dolobid (Diflunisal)?
Dolobid (Diflunisal) belongs to the group of drugs known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). This group of medications is effective in treating pain, inflammation, and fever in the body. This is available in 20mg and 500mg tablets for oral administration. Dolobid tablets contain Diflunisal which is a white crystalline compound and practically insoluble in water. It is soluble in most organic solvents including ethanol, methanol, and acetone. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Dolobid (Diflunisal)?
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking the drug. Take it with food or milk or right after meals to prevent stomach upset. Swallow the medication as a whole. Do not chew or break it. Take it at the same time each day or as directed by your doctor. It may take up to 2 weeks of regular use before the full benefits of this drug take effect.
What are the side-effects of Dolobid (Diflunisal)?
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Tired feeling
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Ringing in your ears
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this medication, inform your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications (vitamins or herbal supplements).
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to this drug or if you have any allergies.
- This is not recommended for use in children under 12 years of age.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding women, you should consult your doctor first.
- Do not use this past the expiration date.
- Keep this away from heat, moisture, and from the reach of children.