Where is Econazole Nitrate used?
Econazole Nitrate is an antifungal medicine that is used to treat infections with yeasts and fungi. This medication is used for people with fungal skin infections such as:
- Tinea pedis
- Ringworm infection
- Candida infection
- Fungal nail infections
This prescription is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This comes as a cream that contains an antifungal agent. This product helps stop the development and growth of the fungus.
How does Econazole Nitrate work?
Econazole Nitrate kills yeasts and fungi by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping the fungi from creating a substance called ergosterol. It is an important component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in the creation of ergosterol interrupts the fungal cell membrane. In which, it may cause holes to appear in it.
For their survival, the cell membranes of fungi are vital. They have an unwanted substance from incoming cells and stop the substances of the cells from leaking out. As Econazole Nitrate causes holes to look as if it’s in the cell membranes, vital parts of the fungal cells can outflow. This destroys the fungi and gives medication to the infection.
How is Econazole Nitrate used?
Use Econazole Nitrate on the skin only. Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated. Apply the medication on and around the affected areas as directed by your doctor. The cream is usually applied once or twice a day. Wash your hands after using unless the area being treated includes the hands. Don’t cover, wrap, or bandage the area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
Do not apply Econazole Nitrate in the nose, eyes, or mouth, or even inside the vagina. If you do get the medication in those areas, flush with plenty of water right away. After several days even if symptoms vanish, continue using Econazole Nitrate until the full prescribed amount is finished. Not taking the medication may result in a return of the infection. Let your doctor know if your condition lasts after 2 weeks of treatment or if it gets worse.
What are the precautions in using Econazole Nitrate?
- Econazole Nitrate is to be used with caution in people with eczema.
- People with known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient, should not be used. Let your doctor know if you have any allergic reactions to this medicine or if you have any allergies.
- Certain medicines should not be used during breastfeeding or pregnancy. Before using any medicine, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- Econazole Nitrate is not significantly absorbed into the bloodstream from the skin. It is highly unlikely that any of the medicine will pass into breastmilk.
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical history or if you are taking any other medications including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- If you have any signs of an allergic reaction or overdose, call your doctor or call for medical assistance right away.
- You should not share this drug with others.
- Keep this medication far from the direct heat, light, or reach of children or pets.