What condition does Estazolam treat?
Estazolam is a prescription used for the treatment of insomnia. Insomnia is a sleep syndrome that is categorized by difficulty sleeping and staying asleep. People who are experiencing this condition have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Waking up frequently at night
- Having difficulty going back to sleep
- Difficulty falling asleep
This medication can help you stay asleep longer and fall asleep faster. This may also reduce how often you wake up during the night so you can get a better night’s rest.
Estazolam belongs to the class of medications called sedative-hypnotics. It acts on your brain to produce a calming effect. This prescription is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Estazolam work?
Estazolam is a triazolobenzodiazepine derivative. It is an oral hypnotic agent with anticonvulsant, hypnotic, and has muscle relaxant properties. This medication works by slowing the activity in the brain to allow sleep. It binds non-specifically to benzodiazepine receptors, which affects anticonvulsant activity, muscle relaxation, memory, and motor coordination. As benzodiazepine receptors are thought to be attached to gamma-aminobutyric acid-A (GABA) receptors, this improves the effects of GABA. It is by increasing GABA affinity for the GABA receptor. The binding of inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA to the site opens the chloride channel. It results in a hyperpolarized cell membrane that stops the advanced excitation of the cell.
What is the recommended dosage for Estazolam?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
Estazolam is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken just before you get into bed. You may take each dose with or without food. Follow the prescription of your doctor very carefully.
You might have trouble sleeping the first several nights after you stop taking this medicine. This is called rebound insomnia and it is normal. It will typically go away after 1 or 2 nights. If this effect continues, call your doctor right away.
When this medicine is used for a long period, it may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if this medicine stops working well. Also, tell your doctor if your condition persists after 7 to 10 days or if it worsens.
What are the side effects of Estazolam?
- Abnormal coordination
- Chest pain
- Back pain
- Sore throat
- Cold symptoms
What are the precautions in taking Estazolam?
- Before taking this drug, let your doctor know if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies. This drug may have inactive ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
- Estazolam should not be used during pregnancy. If you are a woman of childbearing age, use a reliable form of birth control while taking this medication. If you are planning pregnancy, do not take this medicine. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor right away.
- Do not share this with others who have the same condition as yours.
- Keep this away from heat and moisture.