What condition does Eszopiclone treat?
Eszopiclone is used for the treatment of insomnia. It is a sleep disorder in which people have trouble sleeping. Insomnia is also typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood. This medication will help you stay asleep longer and fall asleep faster. This will also lessen how frequently you wake up during the night to get a better night’s rest.
Eszopiclone belongs to the class of drugs called sedative-hypnotics. This was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Eszopiclone work?
Eszopiclone is an agonist for the brain’s GABA receptor (gamma-Aminobutyric acid). This means it binds to GABA making more of this chemical available to your brain. The increase in GABA makes you sleepy and is also the trigger mechanism in some anti-anxiety medications. It also acts on your brain to produce a calming effect. It works by slowing activity in the brain to allow sleep.
What is the recommended dosage for Eszopiclone?
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken just before you get into bed. Do not take it with or right after a heavy or high-fat meal since it may not work as well.
Do not take more than the prescription of your doctor because your risk of side effects will increase. Take it regularly to get the most benefit from it. Follow the instructions of your doctor very carefully.
Do not take a dose of this medication unless you have time for a full night’s sleep of at least 7 to 8 hours. If you have to wake up before that, you may have some memory loss and may have trouble safely doing any activity that requires alertness such as driving or operating machinery.
When this medicine is used for a long time, it may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if this medication stops working well. Even though it helps many people, this medicine may sometimes cause addiction. This risk may be higher if you have a substance use disorder. To lower the risk of addiction, take this medication exactly as prescribed. Ask your doctor for more details.
What are the side effects of Eszopiclone?
- Day-time drowsiness
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Hangover feeling
- Problems with concentration
- Mild skin rash
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Nervous feeling
What are the precautions in taking Eszopiclone?
- This may not be recommended for pregnant women. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first. This drug should only be taken when needed.
- Do not share this with others with the same symptoms as yours.
- You may have trouble sleeping the first few nights after you stop taking this medication. This is known as rebound insomnia and is normal. It will usually go away after 1 or 2 nights. If this effect continues, contact your doctor.
- Inform your doctor right away if your condition persists for 7 to 10 days or if it gets worse.