What condition does Fenofibric Acid treat?
Fenofibric Acid is used to help lower bad cholesterol and fats. This medication will help to raise good cholesterol in the blood. Lowering bad cholesterol in people who have a bad one may decrease the risk of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disease that the pancreas that becomes inflamed.
This medicine belongs to the class of medications called fibrates. This comes as a tablet for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Fenofibric Acid work?
Fenofibric Acid works by increasing the removal and breakdown of bad cholesterol from your body. This helps reduce the risk of cholesterol that might build up in your blood vessels. Wherein, it might cause serious health problems such as stroke or heart attack.
What is the recommended dosage for Fenofibric Acid?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Remember to take it at the same time each day. Do not use more than the prescription.
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken once a day. You may take it with or without food. If a stomach upset occurs, take the drug with food or milk. Swallow the capsule as a whole. Do not break or chew it. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Do not take this medicine more often than prescribed.
If you are also taking certain other medications to lower your cholesterol, take this prescription at least 1 hour before or at least 4 to 6 hours after taking these medications. These medications can bind to Fenofibric Acid that prevents your body from fully absorbing the drug.
What are the side effects of Fenofibric Acid?
Common side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Upset stomach
- Increases in liver function tests
- Cold symptoms (stuffy nose, sneezing, or sore throat)
What are the precautions in taking Fenofibric Acid?
- Before having this medication, inform your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any current medication or any medical history.
- Do not use this past the expiration date.
- You should not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- It is important to continue to follow the advice of your doctor about exercise and diet. It might take up to 2 months before you get the full profit of this medication.
- Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history especially of liver disease, kidney disease, gallbladder disease, or alcohol use.
- This medication should be used only when needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- It is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. Due to the possible risk to the infant, breastfeeding is not recommended while having this treatment and for 5 days after stopping the medication. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
- Taking this drug may cause the breakdown of muscle tissue which may lead to kidney failure. This occurs more often in older adults or people with diabetes or underactive thyroid.