What condition does Fluoxymesterone treat?
Fluoxymesterone is used in men who do not make enough of a natural substance called testosterone. Testosterone is responsible for many functions including the growth and development of genitals, bones, and muscles.
This medication helps cause normal sexual development in boys (puberty). This is similar to the natural testosterone that the body makes. This can also be used in certain adolescent boys with delayed puberty.
Fluoxymesterone belongs to the class of medications called androgens. This comes as a tablet for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Fluoxymesterone work?
Fluoxymesterone is a synthetic androgenic anabolic steroid. Like testosterone and other androgenic hormones, this drug binds to the androgen receptor. It creates retention of potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and sodium. It increases protein anabolism and decreases amino acid catabolism. It also lessens urinary excretion of calcium. It affects many body systems so that the body can develop and function normally.
What is the recommended dosage for Fluoxymesterone?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Remember to take the prescription exactly. Do not take it more often or for longer than it is prescribed.
This drug is to be taken by mouth. It is usually taken 1 to 4 times a day. Take it with a full glass of water. You may also take it with or without food. Take it at the same time each day. If your condition does not improve or worsen, inform your doctor.
What are the side effects of Fluoxymesterone?
- Skin color changes
- Oily skin
- Hair loss
- Increased or decreased sexual interest.
If these side effects persist or worsen, call your doctor right away.
What are the precautions in taking Fluoxymesterone?
- Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you have any medical history, current treatments, or allergies.
- This medicine may have an inactive ingredient that can cause an allergic reaction. Call for medical help right away if there are any signs of an allergic reaction.
- This may affect your blood sugar level. Check it regularly and let your doctor know about the results.
- Several drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, nurse, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, get medical care or call your poison control center right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
- This prescription is an anabolic steroid. Anabolic steroid medications have been abused and misused before. Anabolic steroid abuse could lead to addiction and very bad health problems. These health problems include blood or heart vessel problems, liver problems, stroke, and mood or mental problems. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Keep this and all of your other drugs away from the reach of children.