Where is Labetalol Hydrochloride used?
Labetalol Hydrochloride is used for the treatment of high blood pressure and angina pectoris. This is a type of medication called alpha-blocker and beta-blocker. This blocks the action of certain natural chemicals in your body. By that, it lowers the heart rate, the strain on the heart, and the blood pressure. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How does Labetalol Hydrochloride work?
Labetalol Hydrochloride works by blocking beta receptors that are found in several parts of the body. Blocking the beta receptors prevents the action of two hormones that are produced naturally by the body. It is called adrenaline and noradrenaline. These hormones are frequently referred to as fight or flight chemicals. It is because they are responsible for the body’s reaction to stressful situations. This medication blocks beta receptors that are found in the heart. This lessens the action of noradrenaline and adrenaline on the heart. Wherein, it causes it to beat more slowly and with less force. In turn, Labetalol Hydrochloride decreases the pressure at which the blood is pumped out of the heart and around the body. It helps to moderate blood pressure.
In angina pectoris, this medication slows the rate and force of the heartbeat also decreases the energy used by the heart to pump blood around the body. This lessens the heart’s need for oxygen which means that Labetalol Hydrochloride can also be used in the management of angina. This medication lessens the workload of the heart and so decreases the amount of oxygen that it needs to pump blood around the body.
How is Labetalol Hydrochloride taken?
Take this medication usually twice a day, by mouth. Each dose is to be swallowed as a whole with a full glass of water. You may take this with or without a meal or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment.
For the treatment of high blood pressure, it may take several weeks before you get the full benefit of this prescription. It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well.
What are the side effects of Labetalol Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Tired feeling
- Upset stomach
- Stuffy nose
- Spinning sensation
What are the precautions in using Labetalol Hydrochloride?
- This drug may cause dizziness. You should be careful when performing activities. Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- Use this with caution in people with decreased kidney or liver function, those with a history of heart failure, or in people with slowed conduction of electrical messages between the chambers of the heart.
- In elderly people, those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, poor blood circulation in the arteries of the extremities, or a history of sudden drops in blood sugar levels, this drug should also be used carefully.
- This drug is not recommended for use in people with uncontrolled heart failure, a very slow heart rate, a severe form of chest pain, or those with low blood pressure.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women before taking Labetalol Hydrochloride.