Memantine HCL is indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe confusion or called dementia. It is related to Alzheimer’s disease. This type of condition is a general term for a decline in mental ability. It is severe enough to interfere with daily life. This medication may improve awareness, memory, and the ability to perform daily functions.
How does Memantine HCL work?
Memantine HCL works by blocking the receptors in the brain that glutamate would normally bind to. This lessens the harmful effect of glutamate in the brain. This may help improve your symptoms of dementia.
People with the disease may be overexposed to the chemical glutamate. This is thought to cause damage to the brain cells in people with Alzheimer’s disease.
Why use Memantine HCL?
Memantine HCL belongs to the class of drugs called NMDA receptor antagonists. This blocks the action of a certain natural substance in the brain. That it is believed to be linked to symptoms of dementia. Memantine HCL is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is supplied as an oral solution. This is available in the strength of 2 mg in each ml.
How to use Memantine HCL?
This medication is to be taken with or without a meal. Take it exactly as it is prescribed by your doctor. When you first take Memantine HCL, you will usually take it once a day. To lessen your risk of side effects, your doctor may start at a low dose and gradually increase it.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Do not take more or less than it is given. It is very important that you take this medication exactly as it is prescribed.
What are the side effects of Memantine HCL?
- Body aches
- Joint pain
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual weakness
- Urinating more than usual
- Skin rash
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use this if you are allergic. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before using Memantine HCL.
- Make sure to tell your doctor if you have liver disease, epilepsy, or kidney disease.
- This prescription may not be recommended if you are pregnant women.
- Consult your doctor first if you are breastfeeding women. Discuss the risks and benefits.
- Keep this at room temperature far from heat and moisture.