What condition does Methenamine Hippurate treat?
Methenamine Hippurate is used to control and prevent urinary tract infections from returning. Other antibiotics need to be used first to treat and cure the infection.
This medication is only effective against bacterial infections in the urinary tract. It may not be effective for other types of bacterial infections or viral infections. Excessive use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
Methenamine Hippurate is an antibiotic that helps stop the growth of the bacteria in the urine. This product is supplied as tablets for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Methenamine Hippurate work?
Methenamine Hippurate obliges the urine to be acidic for it to have its antibacterial effect. When there is an infection in the urinary tract or bladder, the bacteria make an acidic environment. That it helps them to grow and multiply rapidly. As a result, the urine becomes more acidic.
In acidic urine, a chemical reaction happens that converts this drug into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde kills the bacteria present in the urinary tract. It also stops them from causing infection.
What is the recommended dosage for Methenamine Hippurate?
This medicine is to be taken by mouth. Take it with a full glass of water. You may take it with or without food. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response. It is important to take exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or often than the prescription. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time each day.
Keep taking this medicine the full time prescribed, even if you feel well. Stopping the treatment ahead of time or skipping doses might allow bacteria to continue to develop, which may result in a return of the infection and make the bacteria more difficult to treat. Do not take more of this drug than directed because it may increase your chance of side effects.
What are the side effects of Methenamine Hippurate?
- Painful or difficult urination
- Stomach upset
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rash
Call for medical assistance if there are signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your throat, face, lips, or tongue
What are the precautions in taking Methenamine Hippurate?
- Do not double the prescribed dosage of this medication. If you missed a dose, call your doctor.
- Before you start taking it, make sure to tell your doctor if you have any medical history. Tell also if you have any allergies.
- If you are breastfeeding pregnant consult your doctor first before taking the drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had kidney or liver disease.
- This drug might cause some serious health issues. This risk may be even higher for certain groups. If this worries you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about other options
- Large doses or higher than recommended of this medicine can cause bladder irritation, blood in your urine, painful and frequent urination, or protein in your urine. Take the medication exactly as it is prescribed.