Where is Olsalazine Sodium used?
Olsalazine Sodium is recommended for the treatment of a certain type of bowel disease called ulcerative colitis (UC). This drug does not cure UC, but it may lessen symptoms such as:
- Stomach pain
- Rectal bleeding
These may be caused by swelling or irritation of the colon or rectum. After an attack is treated, Olsalazine Sodium is used to increase the amount of time between attacks. This medication is used for long-term regular control of ulcerative colitis to prevent flare-ups.
Olsalazine Sodium is a type of medicine called aminosalicylate. This is used to lessen the inflammation in the intestines. This product is supplied as a capsule for oral use. This is a prescription approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Olsalazine Sodium work?
Ulcerative colitis is a condition in which there is inflammation of the large intestine. The inflammation causes bleeding in the intestine and ulceration. It also causes symptoms that include diarrhea and abdominal pain that is along with pus, mucus, and blood.
Olsalazine Sodium is made up of two molecules of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) covalently bound through an azo-bond. It is a medicine called mesalazine which is activated exclusively in the colon. When this drug reaches the large intestine, the bacteria found there cause it to split into the molecules of mesalazine. The mesalazine lessens the inflammation in the intestine. Wherein, it decreases the symptoms of the disease.
This medication is taken to reduce inflammation that is causing a flare-up of ulcerative colitis symptoms. It can be taken regularly to help keep the inflammation in the intestine under control. Thus, it prevents further flare-ups.
How is Olsalazine Sodium taken?
The prescribed dosage for this medication is based on your medical condition, age, weight, and response to it. You must take this medication exactly as it is prescribed.
Olsalazine Sodium is to be taken by mouth. Usually, it is taken twice a day about 12 hours apart or as directed by your doctor. Take each dose with food/snack or after meals. It is to prevent stomach upset. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
What are the possible side effects of Olsalazine Sodium?
Common side effects:
- Mild stomach discomfort
- Skin rash or itching
- Muscle or joint pain
- Urinating more often than usual
Stop using Olsalazine Sodium, and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats
- Worsening colitis (stomach pain, fever, cramping, or bloody diarrhea)
- Stomach pain, nausea, loss of appetite, dark urine, jaundice, clay-colored stools, or itching
What are the precautions in taking Olsalazine Sodium?
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding women before using this drug.
- It is important to tell your doctor what medicines you are already taking.
- This medication might cause stomach bleeding. Regular use of alcohol could increase your risk of stomach bleeding, especially when taken with this drug.
- You should not use this past the expiration date.
- Do not share this drug or any of your prescriptions with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.