Where is Piperacillin-Tazobactam used?
Piperacillin-Tazobactam is a combined prescription of two antibiotics used to treat serious bacterial infections such as:
- Urinary tract infections
This prescription may also be used in people with a low white blood cell count or called neutropenia.
How does Piperacillin-Tazobactam work?
This antibiotic works by weakening the cell walls of bacteria. It lets holes appear in the cell wall that kills off the bacteria causing the infection. Some certain bacteria are unaffected by penicillin-type antibiotics. It is because they have established the capability to create defensive chemicals called beta-lactamase. These prevent them from functioning.
Tazobactam is a type of drug known as beta-lactamase inhibitor that stops the bacteria from inactivating the Piperacillin. Wherein, it increases the range of bacteria that the Piperacillin can kill.
How to use Piperacillin-Tazobactam?
Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose. Piperacillin-Tazobactam is usually given every 6 hours and should be injected slowly over at least 30 minutes. Each dose is to be given by injection into a vein as directed by your doctor.
Follow the instructions of your doctor very carefully. You should not take the medication more or less than it is prescribed. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the possible side effects of Piperacillin-Tazobactam?
Common side effects:
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- Stomach pain or upset
- Runny nose
- Injection site reactions (irritation, redness, pain, soreness, or swelling)
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- Diarrhea that is bloody or watery
- Severe stomach pain
- Low white blood cell counts (mouth sores, fever, sore throat, skin sores, or cough)
- Low potassium levels (constipation, leg cramps, fluttering in your chest, and muscle weakness)
What are the precautions in using Piperacillin-Tazobactam?
- This medication is not given to people who had an allergic reaction to it. Inform your doctor if you have any allergies. This product may contain am inactive ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of kidney disease or cystic fibrosis.
- This drug has sodium. Talk to your doctor if you have an illness that can be worsened by an increase in the salt intake or on a salt-restricted diet.
- Piperacillin-Tazobactam may cause live bacterial vaccines to not work as well. Do not receive any vaccinations or immunizations without the consent of your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medications such as herbal supplements or vitamins while taking this prescription.
- Do not share this or any of your medications with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor first if needed.
- This drug may make you dizzy. Do not use any machinery or do something that needs your attentiveness until you can do it safely.
- Alcohol can make you dizzier. Do not take alcoholic beverages while having this treatment.
- Keep this at room temperature far from moisture, heat, and reach of children.