Where is Procainamide Hydrochloride used?
Procainamide Hydrochloride is a tablet medication used for the treatment of supraventricular and ventricular arrhythmias. This is a type of medicine called an antiarrhythmic that helps to control irregular heartbeats. It lessens the quickness of electrical conduction through the muscle of the heart. It also prolongs the electrical phase during which the heart’s muscle cells can be electrically stimulated. Lastly, it prolongs the recovery period during which the heart muscle cells cannot be stimulated.
How does Procainamide Hydrochloride work?
Procainamide Hydrochloride is an FDA-approved medication that works by lessening the sensitivity of heart muscle cells to electrical impulses. It slows down the electrical transmission in the heart muscle. The heart’s pumping action is controlled by electrical signals that pass through the heart muscle that causes the contraction of the two pairs of heart chambers. This action helps to bring back conflicts in heart rhythm. As a result, it can otherwise extremely weaken the heart’s pumping action and cause incompetent blood circulation around the body.
How is Procainamide Hydrochloride taken?
- Procainamide Hydrochlorideis to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water.
- Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects.
- Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it.
- To help you remember, take it at the same time and in the same way each day.
- Take each dose regularly for the best result from this product.
What are the possible side effects of Procainamide Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Mild itching or rash
- Mild dizziness or tired feeling
- Flushing (redness, warmth, or tingly feeling)
Tell your doctor if you have these serious side effects such as:
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- A new or a worsening irregular heartbeat pattern
- Severe dizziness
- Upper stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sores in your mouth and throat
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual weakness
- Signs of infection such as chills, fever, or sore throat
- Flu symptoms
What are the precautions in taking Procainamide Hydrochloride?
- Before having this treatment, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this drug. Tell also if you have any allergies. This product may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Most drugs that control abnormal heart rhythms can also provoke them in some circumstances. For this reason, if you feel like your heart condition has got you worse or you experience chest pain, tell it your doctor immediately.
- Use this medication with caution in elderly people, those with kidney or liver disease, hypokalemia, and hypotension.
- This drug should also be carefully used for people with abnormal heart rhythm seen on a heart monitoring trace as a prolonged QT interval.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, consult your doctor first before taking a dose of this product.
- Inform your doctor what prescription or non-prescription you are taking including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- If you are having surgery including dental surgery, tell the doctor that you are taking Procainamide Hydrochloride.
- This product may increase the irritability of your heart. Talk to your doctor about the use of caffeine-containing beverages or cigarettes.