What condition does Toremifene Citrate treat?
Toremifene Citrate is used to treat metastatic breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body. This is usually recommended for use in postmenopausal women. This prescription is used to treat cancer that needs estrogen. It is a female hormone needed to grow called estrogen-receptor positive.
Toremifene Citrate is a nonsteroidal anti-estrogen. It slows down the growth of cancer cells. This drug belongs to the group of medications known as selective estrogen receptor modulators or SERMs. This comes as a tablet for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this prescription.
How does Toremifene Citrate work?
Toremifene Citrate is a non-steroidal triphenylethylene derivative. This drug binds to estrogen receptors. It may exert anti-estrogenic, estrogenic, or both activities. It depends upon the duration of treatment. The anti-tumor effect of this medication in breast cancer is thought to be generally because of its anti-estrogenic effects. In other words, this drug can compete with estrogen for binding sites in cancer. It blocks the growth-stimulating effects of estrogen in the tumor.
This medication may also inhibit tumor growth through other mechanisms. It may be through the growth factors.
What is the recommended dosage for Toremifene Citrate?
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit of it. Take this medicine exactly as it is prescribed.
Toremifene Citrate is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. You may take it with or without food. It is usually taken once a day. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
Avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while using this medication unless your doctor says you may do so safely. Grapefruit can increase the chance of side effects with this medicine. Ask your doctor for more details.
What are the side effects of Toremifene Citrate?
- Hot flashes
- Dry eyes
- Spinning sensation
- Dry skin
- Skin rash
- Hair loss
- Swelling in your feet or hands
What are the precautions in taking Toremifene Citrate?
- While using this medication, avoid drinking grapefruit juice or grapefruit. It can increase the chance of side effects.
- Before taking this, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any other allergies. This may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- This medication may make you feel dizzy. Do not use any machinery, drive, or perform activities that need your alertness.
- In general, drinking alcoholic beverages must be kept to a minimum or avoided totally. You should discuss this with your doctor.
- Notify your doctor earlier if you will be having surgery or will be confined to a chair or bed for a long time (such as on a long plane flight).
- It is not known if this medication passes into breast milk. Breast-feeding is not recommended while using this drug because of the possible risk to the infant. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
- This prescription should only be used when needed in pregnant women.