What condition does Vardenafil Hydrochloride treat?
Vardenafil Hydrochloride is in the class of medications called phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors. This prescription is used for the treatment of male sexual function problems called impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is the failure to keep and get an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. Many men experience it during times of stress. This can be a result of a medical condition such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, or prostate problems.
This drug increases blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation. The increased blood flow can cause an erection. Vardenafil Hydrochloride comes as a tablet for oral use. This prescription is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Vardenafil Hydrochloride work?
Vardenafil Hydrochloride inhibits the cGMP specific phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5). It is responsible for degradation in the corpus cavernosum located around the penis. During sexual stimulation, the penile blood flow increases, causing erections. As a result, the penile arteries and smooth muscles of the corpus cavernosum are relaxed. This response is mediated by the release of nitric oxide from endothelial cells and nerve terminals. In which it stimulates the synthesis in smooth muscle cells. Cyclic GMP causes increased blood flow and smooth muscle relaxation into the corpus cavernosum. The inhibition of phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) by Vardenafil enhances erectile function by increasing the amount of cGMP.
What is the recommended dosage for Vardenafil Hydrochloride?
This medication is to be taken by mouth. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. The medicine is usually taken an hour before sexual activity or as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without food.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Do not take more than once daily. The doses should be taken at least 24 hours apart.
What are the side effects of Vardenafil Hydrochloride?
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Stomach upset
- Back pain
- Flushing (redness or warmth in your face, chest, or neck)
What are the precautions in taking Vardenafil Hydrochloride?
- Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- You should know that sexual activity may be a strain on your heart, especially if you have heart disease. If you have chest pain during sexual activity, call your doctor right away and avoid sexual activity until your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medication. Grapefruit can increase the chance of certain side effects.
- Do not drive or do any activity that needs your alertness. This drug may make you feel dizzy.
- You should know that this drug is only for use in males. Women should not take this medicine, especially if they are or could become pregnant or are breastfeeding. If a pregnant woman takes Vardenafil, she should call her health care provider.
- Keep this far from the reach of children.